Personal tools
Log in


Grade Change

Approved by the Board of Trustees of Rockland Community College on August 18, 2011. Amended December 12, 2019

A student’s request for a grade change must be initiated no later than the following fall or spring semester after the grade had been issued:

  • Students must request a grade change from the course instructor.
  • All requests must be in writing and be supported by documentation.

If a student’s request for a grade change has been denied by the instructor of the course, the student has 14 days from the date of that denial to appeal to the Program Coordinator/Chair of the relevant department (or, if the instructor is a department chair, to the Dean/Division Chair). If the Program Coordinator/Chair believes that the complaint may have merit, they should discuss the matter with the instructor. If the matter still remains unresolved, it will be referred to an ad hoc faculty committee.

In consultation with the Chief Academic Officer, an ad hoc committee of faculty members will be convened by the chair of the relevant department. The ad hoc faculty committee will consist of one faculty member from the instructor’s department, one member of the instructor’s division, and one faculty member of another division. The ad hoc faculty committee will examine all available written information related to the dispute and would be available for meetings with the student and with the instructor, along with others as they see fit.

Upon the conclusion of the appeal hearings, if the ad hoc faculty committee determines that compelling reasons exist to change the grade, it will request that the instructor make the change, after providing the instructor with a written explanation of its reasons. Should the instructor decline, she or he should provide an explanation for refusing.

The ad hoc faculty committee, after considering the instructor’s explanation, and upon concluding that it would be unjust to allow the original grade to stand, may then recommend to the department head or to the instructor’s immediate administrative superior that the grade be changed. That individual will provide the instructor with a copy of the recommendation and will ask the instructor to implement it. If the instructor continues to decline, the faculty chair of the ad hoc faculty committee may then change the grade, notifying the instructor and the student of this action. Only that individual, upon the written recommendation of the faculty committee, should have the authority to effect a change in grade over the objection of the instructor who assigned the original grade.

In the case of administrative error, and with appropriate documentation, the faculty member, Program Coordinator/Chair, or Dean/Division Chair may waive the one semester grade change limit.